You know you’re growing up when the time comes to leave your parents’ place and get a house of your very own, right? I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever felt as adult as I did when I got my very own mortgage. And when I bought my sofas, well, I felt pretty darn grown up. And when I picked out curtains and paint colours for my living room… gawddd, I’m so mature now.
I’ve lived on my own for almost one whole year now. And in that year, I’ve discovered that living on my own comes with a number of pros and cons. Let me fill you in…
- You can slob about the house in your finest – or most grim – underwear if you really want. I once sat and played my piano in my bra and pants because, well, why not? Just gets a bit awks when someone knocks at the door.
- Music can be played loudly without having to worry your disturbing someone else in the house. There’s the added bonus of being able to sing and dance along, somewhat like a lunatic, without embarrassment.
- You can have your friends round whenever the hell you want. Maybe even throw house parties as and when you wish, if your friends are trustworthy enough…
- Sharing your bed, or being stuck in a single, is a thing of the past. Yes, that’s right – you can fully sprawl out across a lovely double bed. Find yourself some top mattress deals, and pick a winner for plenty of nights of starfishing to come.
- You’re screwed when there’s a spider lurking around. And you’ll have to relocate to a different room, or ask your dad to come round and get it for you…
- It is entirely your responsibility to clean the bathroom. And you’re the only one to suffer the consequences if you don’t.
- You have no one to remind you when food in your fridge is about to go out of date. And sometimes you don’t even realise until it’s way too late and a peculiar smell wafts into the kitchen every time you open the fridge door.
- There’s no one to convince you that you should probably get to bed. And so you stay up for one more episode of whatever Netflix series you’re watching. And one more after that. And another…
- It gets kinda lonely sometimes. But then again, you can’t just let anyone come along and ruin your spider-evading, Netflix-binging, underwear-clad routine.
*This post was sponsored by Groupon, but the words are all completely my own, as always. 🙂